Wednesday, June 22, 2011

ECC Weeks 5-8 Mexico & Canada - A Recap of Our 2010-2011 School Year in Pictures

NORTH AMERICA CONTINUED (Mexico & Canada)

WEEKS 5 & 6 - Mexico

One of our art projects for Mexico included my version of yarn art.  The kids used a generic brand of Bendaroos.  They both made a picture on paper and on the cabinet.  I don't remember who's idea it was to stick it to the cabinet.  Most likely Beau's.

Beau's elephant

Something alien related, I'm sure
Roo's cat

A pumpkin and ???  Maybe herself??

I thought it would be fun to purchase sombreros and make ponchos.  I got the sombreros at a Halloween store and the kids picked out the fleece material they wanted to use for their ponchos.  I cut a neck hole in the fleece and we had instant ponchos.  All that was missing were mustaches.  ;) 



We also made a pinata out of a large paper bag and covered it in colored tissue paper and streamers.  I taped the top to strengthen it and punched holes for the rope.  That was the strongest pinata I think I have ever seen.  It took forever to break but that probably made it more fun for the kids.  Their cousin also joined in on the fun as well.
  
Roo taking a swing

Cousin K

Beau finally busted it!!

WEEKS 7 & 8 - Canada

 For our science we did a celery experiment to see how the xylem carries water up to the leaves of plants and trees.  The first picture shows day one.  The second picture shows day two.  You can really see how the food coloring was carried to the leaves.



We also made a Canada flag cake.  We used white frosting, red sugar and a cookie cutter leaf.


Our First (but not last) lapbook was of Canada.  The kids enjoyed it so much that I included them for many of the science and countries for the rest of the year.  I have included pictures below of our completed Canada lapbooks.




South America is coming soon.

1 comment: