Monday, June 4, 2012

Zoo 3 - A Few of Our Experiments

I previously posted about our first few experiments but then didn't keep up with my blog (or my picture taking) but I decided to post the pictures I do have of the experiments I didn't previously post about.

Zoo 3 Lesson 4
Experiment - The Cougar Eats the Deer

This experiment was to demonstrate how the predator/prey relationship works.  Each player took turns throwing his/her cougar into the square of deer.  Any deer the cougar landed on represented an eaten deer.  Each toss represented a generation of hunting.  The cougar had to land on at least three deer to survive for the next generation.  This is obviously not all of the directions but the idea was that there had to be enough deer in a given area to keep the cougars alive for the next generation.  But too many deer meant more cougars.  This is a delicate balance.




Zoo 3 Lesson 7
Experiment - Dissection of Owl Pellets

This experiment was pretty simple.  The dissection of owl pellets.  The kids are pretty serious scientists.  lol!





Zoo 3 Lesson 13
Spider Web For Fun

My kids didn't make the mid-lesson project of creating a web frame but my daughter decided to make her own web out of yarn using my bed posts as her frame.



Zoo 3 Lesson 13
Wood Louse Population Study

The kids marked off an area and collected wood lice AKA roly-poly's, pill bugs, sow bugs, potato bugs, or whatever you might call them.  We call them roly-poly's.  They collected and marked 10.  They were supposed to repeat the experiment the next evening at the same time but we, um, forgot.





We did many of the other experiments but I forgot to take pictures.  One experiment that comes to mind that the kids really enjoyed was in Lesson 9 about the giraffe and it's high blood pressure demonstrated with a plastic bottle, pin, balloon and water.  (Anything involving water is always fun.)

One thing that helped us complete most of the experiments was that fact that I had purchased a supply kit from CreationSensation.com.  They included most everything we would need for each experiment.  I couldn't use the fact that 'I forgot to collect the supplies' as an excuse for skipping an experiment.  ;)  If only I had remembered to take more pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Found your blog through the MFW boards. We are starting MFW RtR after Labor Day and I am feverishly planning out the first couple of months. I was hoping you may have started RtR already so I could get sneak peeks at some of the hands on stuff you were doing. I like that you have a lot of that in your homeschooling. I would like to do a better job with that this year as I am just now coming out of the baby days sleep slump with my fourth, who will turn 2 next month. :) I signed up to follow the blog and look forward to your next post. hint hint ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I haven't had the time to blog about our RTR year. It's been a fun year, as all of MFW has been but I just haven't had the extra time to keep up my blog AND do all the fun things we do in school. (And be a pastor's wife and all that entails). I do miss reviewing and sharing the fun things we do during our school days. Maybe one day soon.

    ReplyDelete