Saturday, April 9, 2011

ECC Weeks 25-26 - China And A few Past Projects From India & Kenya

I thought I would add a few of our past projects.

Some things we did while studying China:

I read The Warlord's Beads by Virginia Walton Pilegard. It's basically a picture book about the abacus and includes a little history on the last page. In the back of the book it gives directions on how to make your own counting beads or abacus. I modified it a little using what I had on hand.  My kids loved this project.


Our Bead Counters

We also did the paper lanterns out of the book A Trip Around the World. They were a big hit as well and they were really easy.

Beau's Lantern

Roo's Lantern

Beau & Roo's China Lapbook Pages

Roo's Panda Lapbook

Beau's Panda Lapbook


***

While studying India our science included mountain biomes.   I decided to take on the project listed in the Properties of Ecosystems book and have my kids make a model of a mountain. They came out great and both kids couldn't be more proud of their work. J-Beau usually starts a project and never wants to finish but he really got into this one.

Roo's Mountain

Beau's Mountain
***

While studying Kenya the kids made the fabric bowl project in our Global Art book.  We cut up 1" (approx.) strips of fabric.  Turned a bowl upside down.  Put saran wrap over the bowl. Then we 'painted' the fabric pieces together over the saran wrap with glue to form the bowl.


Our Fabric Bowls
 
I decided to edit this post and add our China Pages and Panda Lapbooks to our past studies post. They are posted with the China activities above. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Tammie ~ Welcome to the blogosphere! It'll be nice to see you here in addition to the MFW boards.

    Your kids' projects look GREAT! We're in Adventures right now, so you're giving me lots to look forward to next year.

    Keep up the good work with school ... another year is almost complete! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you are enjoying Adventures. We loved it. So much so that I was afraid we might not like ECC but it just keeps getting better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammie we just finished Kenya and our bowls just were so brittle it seemed like they didn't want to stay together. What kind of fabric did you use, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Mandy, I believe we just used cotton fabrics. If I remember correctly, the glue was a mixture of 1/2 white school glue and 1/2 water. I also tried to make sure that the kids squeezed out the excess glue/water mixture by slipping the fabric between two fingers. I'm sorry your's didn't come out better. I don't know why it seemed to work for us. HTH

    ReplyDelete